Communities Environment Program
15 Mar 19
The Communities Environment Program will provide over $22
million to support local communities to deliver a wide range of on-ground
projects that conserve, protect and sustainably manage our environment.
Under the Communities Environment Program, each federal
electorate can receive up to $150,000 in grant funding for small-scale,
community-led projects for environmental priorities such as:
- waste and litter reduction
- protecting native animals, including our
- addressing weeds and pest animals
- restoring and improving coasts, wetlands,
riverbanks and waterways
- greening parks and urban areas.
This program aims to support the environmental priorities of
local community and environment groups in their regions and neighbourhoods. It
aims to not only recover and strengthen our environment, but also to build and
strengthen our communities.
Each electorate can receive funding for up to 20 projects,
with the minimum grant amount being $2,500 and the maximum grant amount set at
$20,000. Projects are nominated for funding by the Local Member of Parliament
in consultation with a community panel.
Initial Expressions of Interest (EOI) are now open and should
be returned to my office as soon as possible, by 28 March 2019.
Who is eligible?
- You must be a community organisation that is a legal entity, able to enter into a grant agreement with the Commonwealth.
- Community clubs (including Lions Clubs, Rotary Clubs, scouts and guides groups, sports clubs), not-for-profit organisations such as Indigenous organisations, Landcare groups (including Bushcare, Coastcare, ‘Friends of’ groups), schools, councils, and other community and conservation groups are all encouraged to apply.
- Local governing bodies as defined by the Local Government (Financial Assistance) Act 1995 will also be eligible to receive funding.
How do I express
- You may complete the EOI form, which you can download here https://bit.ly/2UBSEUH and return via mail to PO Box 2056, Coffs Harbour NSW 2450 or scan and email to email@example.com.
- I’ll then be considering the Expressions of Interest and deciding which projects to nominate after consulting with the community through a panel.
- If your organisation is nominated, you’ll be invited to apply formally when the program officially opens in mid-2019 through the Australian Government Business Grants Hub. Nominated projects will need to meet Program Guidelines and eligibility criteria, which will be made available closer to the opening date.
For more information about the Communities Environment Program, please contact my office on 02 6652 6233 or go to http://www.environment.gov.au/cep.